May 6, 2013
Statement by Susan Szpyrka, vice chancellor, Administration and Finance
In re: evacuation of UCCS housing students
As a precaution, at about 10 a.m. Monday, May 6, University of Colorado Colorado Springs students living in the Antero and Shavano buildings of UCCS student housing were evacuated to Crestone in the Alpine Village housing area.
The students were evacuated after a construction crew struck a natural gas line nearby. The evacuation is a precautionary move. There is no danger at this time.
Crews from the Colorado Springs Fire Department are on standby.
Students will be advised when they can safely return to Antero.